Sunday, August 31, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Grammy, Grampy and Abbey came to visit us for Labor Day weekend despite the threat of Hurricane Gustav. We had a great time during their visit. On Friday we drove down to Gulf Shores to see the sights. We had lunch at Lamberts. Sophie did not know what to think about seeing the rolls being thrown across the room. Her eyes got really big when the boy threw the rolls to our table. The girls had fun playing on the train and trucks outside the resturant. We wanted to visit the train museum in Foley but it was closed. They had a good time climbing on the trains outside the museum though. Sophie really enjoyed it and if you asked her what sound a train makes she would pretend to blow the whistle and say "choo choo." We got to spend a couple of hours playing at the beach. Sophie got in the water for the first time. She has been too scared the other times we have taken her this summer. I guess being around Abbey made her a little more brave. After playing on the beach we were hungry so we went to Lulu's for dinner. It was really good and we had a good time listening to the band. This was the first time that Sophie had seen a live band play since she has been old enough to know what is going on around her. She would clap and cheer for them after they finished each song.
Saturday was another busy day. We went to the new Bass Pro Shop in Spanish Fort to look around and each lunch. We had a good time looking at everything and then we had a great lunch at the Fish Company resturant. Sophie and Abbey had the cutest dessert. It is called the big mouth bass brownie. The brownie is shaped like a fish and it is jumping over vanilla ice cream into a pool of chocolate syrup with a gummy worm in its mouth. Both girls really enjoyed it. That evening we took the girls to play in the fountain at the Eastern Shore Centere. This was the first time that Sophie really played in the water. The other times we have taken her she didn't want to get wet. Abbey really had a great time. She somehow talked Uncle Jason into playing in the water with her. They chased one another trying to dump buckets of water on each other. I think that Abbey won, Jason was pretty soaked by the time we left.
On Sunday we were going to go the water park but it was closed due to the hurricane. Abbey was pretty upset about that, but we'll have to make sure she gets to go next time. Unfortunately, they had to cut their trip short in order to make it home while the weather was still good. We were sad to see them go because we were having a great time. Thankfully, they made it home safe and sound. Jason, Sophie and I spent the rest of the day preparing for the storm.